This year The Rumpus turns 13, and we’re feeling ALL our angsty growing pains! We want to assert our independence, but we also really NEED a good support system. That’s where RUMPUS MEMBERS come in.
Become an inaugural member of The Rumpus for $7 a month or $77 a year. If you found this page, congratulations, you’re part of our soft launch! You truly are helping us build a sustainable future AND getting some extra content, early access, and sweet deals for yourself.
Need more convincing? If you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions, you should to consider becoming a Rumpus member:
Do you read The Rumpus? Appreciate small publishers? Support fairer pay for writers? Want to keep the site paywall free for everyone? Were you filled with existential dread the last time you learned one of your favorite literary publications went under (especially one you’d been planning on someday eventually subscribing to)?
Now is your chance to put those principles into practice!
Monthly and Annual members receive:
|A twice monthly members-only newsletter containing…||Monthly||Annual|
|Early News: be first to hear about calls for submissions, Rumpus events, and other opportunities||✔||✔|
|Exclusive Rumpus Content: newsletter-only essays, Q&As, and advice from our editors||✔||✔|
|Notes from the EiC and guest posts from some of our favorite writers||✔||✔|
|Our endless gratitude and the warm fuzzies from knowing you’re supporting one of the first and last independent lit mags around||✔||✔|
|A 20% off Rumpus merch after sign up (does not apply to book clubs or letters programs)||✔|
|Access to a private Submittable portal for members where you can submit your work year-round||✔|
|One free month of the member-only newsletter||✔|
We’ve been running hard here at The Rumpus since 2009. We’ve done a handful or crowdfunding campaigns since the magazine began, but it’s clear that we need ongoing support. You can see our current funding sources below and where we’re hoping our readers’ (that’s you) additional support will fit in.
Here’s what your membership will make possible for us:
- 500 members: covers our current basic operating costs (web hosting, tech support, various subscriptions, etc.)
- 600 members: basic operating costs, PLUS pays our contributors at least $25-$50 per piece
- 750 members: All of the above, PLUS investing in a website refresh. We haven’t had one in 13 years, and it’s time!
- 1,000 members: All of the above, PLUS paying our contributors at least $50-$100 per piece
- 3,000+ members: This is just 2-3% of the visitors who read The Rumpus each month, and would get us to a fully sustainable place. Imagine all of the above, plus being able to pay part-time editors, and the capacity to begin new projects like a Rumpus writing residency? A dream!
How close are we to achieving these goals?
We soft launched at AWP 2022 in late-March and we’re happy to get started with 58 MEMBERS joining us in just 3 days! We’ll update our #s monthly here once we make our public appeal in June!
Already a MEMBER or looking for other ways to support The Rumpus?
- Sign up for a Book Club, Poetry Book Club, Letters in the Mail, or Letters in the Mail for Kids subscription or buy some merch on our store site.
- Get some limited edition merch from our Bonfire store.
- Make a one-time contribution in any amount.
Current Members: We’ll begin sending out the twice a month members-only newsletter at the middle and end of every month starting Thursday, June 16th, 2022. Need to update your Membership info (email, payment information, etc.)? Visit the Rumpus store and click on My Account to log in and make any updates you may need.